The Yankton Medical Clinic Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) is a perfect option for patients who require minimally invasive procedures or outpatient surgical care. In the past, hospitals may have been the only viable setting for these procedures. But the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC provides patients with an alternative venue–one specifically designed to make outpatient procedures safer, more convenient, and more cost effective.
What is an Ambulatory Surgical Center?
The Yankton Medical Clinic Ambulatory Surgical Center is located on the lower floor of our Yankton location. Containing several high-tech operating and treatment rooms, our ASC is fully equipped to perform a wide variety of minor surgical and minimally-invasive procedures. With highly-trained Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists on staff, patients are able to undergo procedures that require either local, sedation, or general anesthesia.
The Yankton Medical Clinic ASC is fully physician-owned. Generally, patients are referred to our ASC directly by their doctor. Patients will then undergo a screening process in order to ensure they’re a good fit for outpatient procedures at our ASC. These screenings ensure patient safety and help improve outcomes. The goal is to provide patients with an option for undergoing surgery as safely and conveniently as possible.
Procedures Performed at the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC
Patients will be able to undergo a wide variety of procedures at our ambulatory surgical center, including everything from knee surgery to colonoscopy to minor urology treatments. So if you want orthopedic surgery anywhere in SE South Dakota, N Nebraska or NW Iowa, this is an excellent option!
Among the most common procedures are:
- Orthopedic surgeries: This includes arthroscopic knee replacement surgery, a procedure performed to improve the performance of the knee joint.
- Gallbladder removal: This procedure, medically known as a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, is a minimally invasive method to remove the gallbladder.
- Endoscopies: Including upper endoscopies and colonoscopies, which check the health of the intestines and digestive system.
- Urology procedures: Such as kidney stone treatment.
- Pain management: These treatments help patients manage chronic pain.
- Salpingectomy: This procedure involves the removal of the fallopian tubes.
- ENT procedures: ENT procedures can cover everything from surgical treatments for sinus issues to the insertion of specialized breathing tubes.
This list is not exhaustive. The Yankton Medical Clinic ASC is able to accommodate a wide variety of specialities, including ENT and general surgery. New procedures and capabilities are often added, so patients with questions about treatments offered at the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC should ask their physician directly.
Why Should I Choose the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC?
In general, it will be your surgeon who recommends that you undergo your procedure at our ambulatory surgical center. But patients will always have the option of selecting a hospital setting instead. Usually, however, patients with the opportunity to do so will select the ASC venue because it offers several advantages. Some of those advantages include:
- Designed for outpatient care from the ground up: This means that your entire experience will be centered around your status as an outpatient. From intake to recovery, everything is designed to get patients home quickly and safely.
- Cost savings: Because of the way that ASCs are organized, patients can enjoy significant cost savings over hospitals, even after insurance is applied.
- Lower risk of infection: Because ASCs rigorously screen patients and reschedule anyone who happens to be ill, there’s usually a modestly lower risk of secondary infection when you have your procedure performed at an ASC. The lower patient-to-physician ratio also helps in this regard.
- Higher nurse to patient ratio: More nurses–and specially trained Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists–mean you can receive more individualized and attentive care.
ASCs have demonstrated an excellent safety record. The Yankton Medical Clinic ASC is accredited by the AAAHC (the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care) to ensure patients receive high quality care.
Scheduling Your Procedure
An ambulatory surgical center will not be the right choice for every patient. Any procedures that require overnight supervision or inpatient treatment will be performed in a hospital setting. Your physician will be the one to recommend either the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC or a hospital venue for your procedure.
If you have questions about our ambulatory surgical center, contact us or talk to your physician about whether the Yankton Medical Clinic ASC might be an appropriate venue for your next outpatient procedure.