Dr. Amy Eichfeld has been selected as the 2018 faculty recipient of the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award presented by the Arnold P.Gold Foundation by the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine.
As assistant professor at USD SSOM, Dr. Eichfeld serves with the department of obstetrics and gynecology. The Tow award is presented to one faculty member and one student annually. Faculty selections are based on these and other criteria:
- Consistently demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of care to patients
- Serves as a role model—illustrates professional behavior by example
- Approachable and accessible to students
- Welcomes opportunities for teaching and one-on-one mentorships with students
- Exhibits enthusiasm and skill in professional and personal interactions with students
- Shows respect for everyone
- Adheres to professional and ethical standards
- Committed to reflection and objective self-evaluation of his/her skills
- Displays competence in scientific endeavors
Nominations are reviewed by a selection committee comprised of representatives of each USD SSOM campus, past recipient and the dean of medical student affairs. Dr. Eichfeld attended the award ceremony May 4 during the medical school’s graduation convocation to accept the award.